These instructions are specifically for my Zippy Crop Tote pattern, but also translate easily to my Reversible Bookbag Tote or Zippy Tote. You can also adapt them to lots of other patterns out there!
1) Add the trim to the Outside Front & Back. Cut trim a little longer than the purse piece (after sewing, trim band even with fabric). Seam allowances are 1/2", so place the top of the trim band 5/8" away from the top edge (this is the edge with the notch - see Zippy Crop Tote pattern)
Use a zipper foot to stitch close to top edge and another seam close to bottom edge of trim band.
Pin the trim, but make sure and remove the pins before the presser foot. You don't want the band to get "wonky".
Carefully hold the pom-poms (or fringe strands) away from presser foot as you sew.
Sew slowly - this is an easy place to stick your finger!!
Trim pom-pom (or fringe) in seam allowance area. In this case, my seam allowance on the side will be 1/2", so I removed one pom-pom. Trim the string that holds the pom-pom close to the fabric band.
If using fringe, trim strands close to band about 1 fringe strand beyond the 1/2" seam allowance on side.
3) Add pocket to Outside, stitching with 1/2" seam. At this point, you can switch from the zipper foot to a narrow presser foot like a 1/4" foot.
4) Press pocket out carefully! Remember that some of these trims are polyester and your iron can melt them. Also, you don't want squished pom-poms.
Sew the purse together like pattern instructs.
Remember these tips as you sew:
- Keep your trims out of the way of the presser foot.
- When sewing on the trim, use a zipper foot.
- For the rest of the purse, use a narrow presser foot, like a 1/4" foot. It makes it easier to avoid the trim.
- Sew slowly when sewing an area near the trim.
Imagine the fun you can have with trims!
Which purse will you add spark to next?